The Daily Travelogue

Someone I really like once said. "While describing life's journey, it should be almost impossible to seperate fact from fiction - the truth from the myth - the man from the legend'. I completely agree.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Nice men finish last

I recently read another pop-philosophy book, this time by Scott Adams (Yeah, the Dilbert bloke), titled ‘God’s Debris’. I must admit upfront that the book lived up to just half its title. Though there is one little piece that got firmly stuck in the left side of my brain, besides memories of my - first car, first dive in the water, first trip to the hills, first day at work, first date...

In the book, the Avatar says this about relationships (between men and women) :
Women value sacrifices made for them by men. More the sacrifices → Better the man’s chances.
Men, on the other hand, have a list of objectives that women have to measure up.
(If this is true, then it would be just a one point checklist in my case. But more on this in some other post)

Visualize this: First date. Guy meets girl.

Guy seems like a happy go lucky bloke with a smile plastered on his face.
Girl seems smart AND ambitious.

The number game begins:

Girl: I wonder if he will give up smoking for me,
I wonder if he will take me to a disc instead of going to bed,
I wonder if he will join salsa with me instead of hanging around with his useless friends,
I wonder if he will lose weight by going in the gym instead of watching TV.

Guy: I wonder if she will
- allow me to have sex with her if she has a meeting the next day
- be open to experiment,
- be a passionate lover and

- damn! almost forgot - will she manage house, parents, kids, Rovie (dog)?

Tick Tick Tick – the counter runs - - against each sacrifice and against each objective.

To summarize: The whole way this system works is, men get certain number of points whenever women perceive that men are making a sacrifice.

What scares me, though, is not the points bit but the scary fallout of this crazy theory: Nice men don’t stand a chance. I mean, seriously guys – you are dead, don’t even try. Just so that the message is loud and clear, let me repeat this in – Nice men don’t stand a chance!!

Nice men, by definition, being men and nice, would be so eager to make sacrifices for the sake of their ‘true love’ that it would seem as if they are doing daily chores. And according to the ‘Debris’ theory, no (perceived) sacrifice means no points.

So when ‘not so nice’ men give up smoking for their ‘true love’ they make a quick billion points. Add another couple of billion in ‘not so nice’ men’s account for giving up beer with friends on a Friday night and taking ‘true love’ to discotheque.

Since nice men don’t smoke or drink, what will they sacrifice? Curd rice and buttermilk?? That is likely to fetch them a couple of thousand points - on their lucky day.

Simple math suggests that nice men need about million more sacrifices before catching up with the ‘not so nice’ men. However, what simple math doesn’t suggest is that most nice men would be dead sooner.

2 Comments:

At 2:41 AM, Blogger Rajk said...

Another cool post!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger shilpakolte said...

Heyy..girls aren't looking for sacrifices..just some pampering !! If you think nice men don't drink and smoke, I agree. The fact that a man doesn't smoke and drink itself wins him many points :)(as it shows he's intelli'GENT' and health conscious)..atleast I would generously give away points.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home